Blogger

I Really have no regrets being called cleaner – Precious Nwosu an Entrepreneur.Say(details)

Precious Nwosu, the CEO of Pians Enterprise, a cleaning
and fumigation company, tells MOBOLA SADIQ about her
journey as an entrepreneur
.


What is your educational background?
I studied Business Administration at the Lagos State
University. I am currently taking a course at the Chartered
Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria.
.

How did you start your business?
One day, I went to church and wanted to use the toilet but I
couldn’t because of the condition of the place. I then asked
the cleaner for a mop and bucket and started cleaning it.. .
..
Afterwards, it became a routine. Every Sunday, I voluntarily
undertook to clean the toilet. I did this for about six months
and the idea came to me that I could actually take it as a
business. I started watching janitorial videos on YouTube
and Google, and later created adverts on WhatsApp and
Facebook.

One day, an old friend called me to clean her house. I
agreed to do it though I didn’t have money to buy the basic
equipment. She sent half the pay I requested for and I
bought the necessary things I needed to clean the house.. .
And that was how I started this business.
What was your first pay and did it encourage you to do
more?
..
My first pay was N20,000 to clean a three-bedroom
apartment and that encouraged me to continue. The money
was enough to buy all the equipment I needed. I was also
able to pay the lady that worked with me and still had some
profit.
..
How long have you been in business?
The company will be one-year-old this month. I presently
have two ladies working with me on part-time basis.
Whenever there are jobs to do, I call them.
What other things do you do?
I supply cocktails for weddings and other events.
Is the cleaning business enough to earn you a living?
.

My cleaning and fumigation business is enough to cater to
my needs for now. I don’t live above my means.
Does your job affect your relationship with people?
.

Yes, it does. Some people call me, ‘Precious the cleaner’.
Some customers also talk to me carelessly but I consider
that to be normal. When I started the business, some of my
friends said they could never do it. They were surprised that
I would opt for a cleaning and fumigation job. But along the
line, they didn’t have a choice but to accept my job.
Sometimes, I feel dirty and at other times, I don’t. However,
it is what pays my bills, so I’m proud of what I do.
..
Do you feel fulfilled with your job?
Yes, I feel fulfilled because the business is growing.
What are the challenges you face on the job?
.

They include being talked down on by some rude customers
and treated poorly because I clean their homes. Some even
refer to me as a dirty person. It could also be tough
sourcing and consistently paying for adverts. The perennial
 .
Lagos traffic also affects productivity.
Have you ever felt discouraged doing your business?
.
.
I love cleaning. The toilet has always been the best part of
the house for me to have conversations, make calls and
reply mails. I feel relaxed using the toilet, provided it is
clean. The passion I have for cleaning is what pushed me
into the business, so I don’t have regrets. Sometimes, when
patronage is low, I source for customers everywhere. At
times, I feel discouraged because some women expect me
to kneel down while doing the job, thinking that if they don’t
patronise me, I wouldn’t eat.
What can be done to make the world a cleaner place?
If only the government can add cleaning and fumigation to
the environmental courses that are taught in schools,
people would know the importance of living in clean
surroundings.
.

Seminars should also be organised to educate people on
the need for cleanliness because of the rate of diseases
everywhere.
.

What lessons have you learnt in the course of doing this
business?
.

My business has imbued me with patience, humility,
tolerance, politeness, independence and strong will. I
believe that my customers are always right, even if it’s
painful.
You can’t be proud and be a cleaner; you would fail
immediately.
.

What do you do for fun?
I read, swim, travel and write a lot.
Are you a fashionable person?
I always want to look my best and present myself in the
nicest possible way.. 

What’s the first thing you do when you’re about to clean a
place?
.

I take pictures and videos of how the place is, so I can
make comparisons after cleaning.
What is your dream for your business?
I want to have offices in different parts of the country with
lots of employees doing interstate cleaning and fumigation.
I also hope to get government contracts to fumigate
hospitals and public buildings.
Recognition and expansion are my ultimate goals.

Post a Comment

0 Comments